Millions of workers drive or ride in a motor vehicle as part of their jobs. And, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of work-related deaths in the U.S. The type of company or job doesn’t matter; the risk is there. Protect your organization’s most valuable asset — your employees — by promoting safe driving practices. The following 10 safe driving practices can significantly reduce the risks faced by workers when they drive on the job.
1. Inspect the vehicle. Check the lights, gauges, brakes, horn, tires, windshield wipers, fluids, belts and mirrors.
2. Secure cargo such as tools and other equipment.
3. Buckle up. A seatbelt reduces risk of death by 45 percent in cars and by 60 percent in light trucks.
4. Drive defensively.
5. Avoid distractions. Put down the cell phone and do not text.
6. Don’t wear headphones or earbuds while driving.
7. Avoid impairment.
8. Avoid aggressive driving.
9. Maintain a safe distance between moving vehicles and slow down during inclement weather.
10.Take security measures. Carry vehicle information at all times, secure the vehicle and avoid parking lots with poor lighting or sightlines.
Visit Pinnacol’s Safety Services page on defensive driving. The many resources on this webpage for policyholders include a sample driving and traffic violation policy, defensive driving quizzes, a vehicle safety checklist, a seatbelt safety poster, a short defensive driving video and additional tools and tips to enhance the motor vehicle safety of your employees. Also, call Pinnacol’s Safety On Call hotline at 303-361-4700 or 888-501- 4752. Our Safety Services team stands ready to answer questions and help keep your workers safe behind the wheel
Post Provided by: Pinnacol Assurance